Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wow...

So being at the Jerusalem Center is like living in a temple/walking in the Bible. I was sort of stunned ten minutes ago when I heard the Moslem call to prayer for the first time: this is another world. I think, in a way, this is the most foreign of all cultures to me--the Arabic--maybe that's part of why I love this so much.

It's all incredible. We wound through a black labyrinthine passageway, like backalleys etc.--on an orientation tour around Jerusalem today--and went through a tunnel and suddenly a vaulted ceiling appeared and apparently we were in a Christian church. There is no way to describe the complexity of the architecture, and I don't even have a clue about the culture or politics yet. So far I feel like Aladdin and for a second I really wanted to steal some bread but I didn't. Bad for Church PR, you know. So instead I made friends with our security guy, Hidar. He taught me a handful of phrases, including, "Your shoes rock." His happened to.

I never knew how green this place was. I was expecting sand. Period. In fact, I was wondering on the plane and over the last few weeks about a line in Isaiah, where he says "the desert shall blossom as a rose." "Had Isaiah ever even actually seen a rose?" I wondered. Apparently. I saw some on our balcony. Oh yeah, and the Dome on the Rock is right outside our front window and features prominently along the skyline maybe a mile straight ahead of our balcony. The wall from the "Old City" slants down from right to left at about a 30 degree angle; it looks just like the videos you see in Church. The texture of the rock, just the texture of the rock, is about the coolest thing I've experienced. It feels...I don't know. Old. Hebrew. Biblical. Middle-Eastern. Authentic.

Our group is amazing. I'm sure I'll say more soon.

Lastly, at orientation we heard a line from Elder Holland's address awhile ago to students here:
"If you ever become what you were before this experience, you will have become a disappointment to me," or something to that effect. That's cool, because that's exactly what I'm hoping for, so if that's what an Apostle wants from me, and seems to think he can expect for me, I will hope and work and pray for it too. I don't want to be the same, and once I'm not, I definitely don't want to go back.

Masalaami, my friends
(peace be upon you, I think, in Arabic)

5 comments:

  1. Bentley I can't even tell you how excited I was when I saw you posted. I even saved your post for last (I am a firm believer in delayed gratification). As always, you didn't disappoint. Please post more often, I really like living vicariously through your Romantic Adventures (yes, that's capitalized).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous. Also. I'm sure your group is awesome, but they can in no way be as awesome as our England group. Except, you know, you, Emma, and Lauren, of course. Have a wonderful time in the Holy Land! Like I said...jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shall I ever attempt to paint the feelings of this heart? I don't think so. I just wish I was there to experience it all with you. Keep the insights coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading your blog is going to make me want to cry with heartache each time i read it. it's the most amazing experience and i'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete