Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday's the Sabbath here--for LDS too--not sure why

So from an aquarium-like sacrament room we looked through three 20x30 ft (or so) arches down on a city in which we cannot even mention the Gospel and sang "Called to Serve" to begin Sacrament meeting today. I wasn't sure what to make of it, when the Spirit began filling the room. They have a lot of truth in Jerusalem, but how many know that a God died for his people, and grasp that fact's significance?

Also, our group exodused en masse to Gethsemane and the Orson Hyde Dedicatorial Garden today. I just wasn't feeling it that way, so I made plans to go there another time with a smaller group. When everyone else had disappeared, I went and found the guitars from the Center, then I went up and tried to retrace my steps to the balcony where President Hinckley is standing during the "Special Witnesses of Christ" video, on the Jerusalem Center's highest--floor 8--sandstone-colored portico. The door was locked, and security said that they never opened it except for tours at certain times. I was frustrated, but I wandered around level 7 outside and found a hitherto undiscovered staircase, as far as my group goes, I believe, which led right to it. Really cool view. I wish President Hinckley were still around.

I figured no one was around so I strapped one of the guitars on and played a Vocal Point original song (I think), "He is Born," that my brother adapted to guitar and showed me. It was pretty cool, looking over a city and imagining how all of them were still waiting, and this was the news they had always had the chance to hear, and even though they couldn't hear it, it still felt good to say it. And at least I got to hear it--that always feels good too.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Even I felt the Spirit from here.

    P.S. I am proud of you for getting on everyday and keeping your friends updated. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it wasn't very poetic to mention that though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah thanks a lot. i guess our friendship means a lot

    ReplyDelete